ASBC Brings iCan Bike Clinic to Boulder This Summer

Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

ASBC Brings iCan Bike Clinic to Boulder This Summer

Did you realize that the vast majority of people with disabilities never learn to independently ride a conventional two-wheel bicycle during their lifetime? Research shows that more than 80 percent of people who have autism never experience this activity that so many others take for granted. iCan Shine, a charitable non-profit based in Pennsylvania, was created to help those with autism and other disabilities defy these odds.

The Autism Society of Boulder County is excited to announce that we will host an iCan Shine bike riding clinic, in Boulder, this summer: Monday, July 28, through Friday, August 1. Twenty-five kids and teens will have the opportunity to work with trained iCan Shine volunteers who will teach them to ride a bike.
 
Here’s how the clinic works: your son or daughter will receive 1 hour and 15 minutes of 1:1 instruction for five consecutive days. The goal is to have your child riding a bike by week’s end. Approximately 80 percent of the people who participate in the iCan Bike program ride a two-wheel bicycle independently by the end of the five-day program. The remaining 20 percent make tremendous progress towards this goal and leave the program with their parents and/or siblings trained as “spotters” to pick up where the instructors leave off.
 
iCan Shine will provide all the bikes and other equipment. Please note that your son or daughter must meet ALL of the following criteria in order to participate:

  • must be 8 years old or older
  • be able to sidestep to both sides
  • have an autism or other ASD diagnosis
  • have a minimum inseam of 20 inches
  • be able to walk without an assistive device
  • have a maximum weight of 220 lbs.
  • be willing and able to wear a properly fitted helmet
  • be able to attend camp all 5 days

Boulder Valley School District, which is co-sponsoring this clinic with ASBC, has offered us the use of the gymnasium and outdoor space at Platt Middle School in Boulder. Parents or other caregivers are expected to stay at Platt with their children for the duration of each day's lesson.
 
Families will pay $75 per child to participate; ASBC will pick up the remainder of the tab.
 
What:  iCan Shine Bike Clinic


When:  Monday, July 28, through Friday, August 1 (your son or daughter’s time slot to be determined upon registration)

Where:  Platt Middle School, 6906 Baseline Rd., Boulder 80303

Cost:  $75/participant

There are only 25 spots available in this clinic. These spots will be offered on a first come, first served basis. Deadline for registration is Friday, July 18. Register early: we expect this clinic to fill up quickly!

For more information on this bike camp or to reserve a spot, please email secretaryautismboulder@gmail.com.


iCan Shine (formerly Lose the Training Wheels) conducts more than 100 of these bike programs and serves nearly 3,000 people each year.

blog comments powered by Disqus